Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pets Need Meds Too

I had a German shepherd mixed dog a few years ago that had serious health problems. He was the nicest, friendliest dog but he had mental issues. About a year into owning him he developed the habit of digging out of the backyard. He did this just about every day and it was making us so made. I don't know what happened to him while he was out on the town but he was terrified of the Ice Cream truck. He also hated anything that sounded like a fire cracker. There where some kids that would shoot their Beebe guns out in the back yard and that used to freak him out.
We had to chain him so he wouldn't run away and one day we came home and found him in the house by one of the windows, still chained. Yes, he jumped through the window. Then one year we went away for the 4th of July, big mistake. We had a friend coming by and feeding him and had him lock up in his fortress of solitude also know as our bathroom. He freaked out so much that he bit a hole through our metal door knob.
He started have very violent seizures. We had him on Valum and it still didn't help. The only thing we could do was put him down. I was a really hard decision because he was such a good dog for the kids. He didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. He was also perfectly happy and healthy looking when we had to take him to the vet. I miss that dog.
So I have heard of a product that helps pets with anxiety. This is a product I would have like to try on my old Jake. From what I have read this product works in a few days. If pet depression, stress and anxiety is something you have to deal with I would suggest you looking into this product.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

Perpetually chaining a dog is the most inhumane and cruelest thing you can do. Dogs are pack animals and are bred for human companionship (ie. "man's best friend") Chaining or kenneling a dog is like solitary confinement for the dog -- no wonder your poor dog went nuts.
If you are thinking of getting another dog, PLEASE think twice if you are going to just chain the poor thing outside. Check out the Humane Society of the U.S. "The Facts About Chaining or Tethering Dogs" http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/animal_abuse_and_neglect/the_facts_about_chaining_or_tethering_dogs.html
and Dogsdeservebetter.org
We have rescued many chained dogs -- outside for years in mud, snow, living in their own filfth, flea bites, etc. and they are the sweetest companions you could ever want.
The state of California just passed a law where you cannot chain your dog for more than 3 hours a day -- many other municipalities across the US have similiar laws and Virginia is now considering a statewide ban.
Mona, thanks for considering this and please look at the websites!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

It's interesting how people assume they know situations without even asking futher. You didn't even bother asking me questions about my dog but assumed I was abusing him. Very hurtful especially since I really loved that dog and did as much as I could for him.
The fact is this dog would dig and run away every day if we did not chain him. He could have been easily hit by a car if we didn't chain him. We only chained him for a few hours during the day then brought him in the house. We often left him in our bathroom with the vent on to filter out the outside noise when we were gone. Many people would not have put up with all the things he did to our home. He broke through windows, chewed walls and doors,and he had very violent seizures that scared my kids. He was on seizure medication and Valum but it didn't help a bit. We chained him only when we had to. For most of the time he was in our house with us!
I would suggest you ask questions and not assume the worst when responding to posts.
I loved that dog.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

By the way, I have rescued many animals myself, dogs, cats, birds. I own horses, dogs, cats, birds and reptiles. I was a vet assistant, I volunteerd at many animal related places so I am not inhumane or cruel. I know more about caring for animals than most people.
Please learn from YOUR mistake and don't post things like this again.
I also disagree with your statement about kenneling. Dogs are also den animals and kennels (cages) provide comfort if used correctly. Try reading Mother Knows Best. It's a great book for training dogs.
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I was hurt by your statement.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home