Thursday, October 26, 2006

Flowers can't always fix it.

It is very hard to know what to say to someone who has just lost a loved one. Any words you think of just sound wrong. Losing someone close to you can be very difficult and at the point when the pain is really deep you either hang on every word others are saying or are not listen at all. I know this from experience. What can you do to help others get through the pain? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. Since every one deals with death differently there is no "right way" to say or do anything.
There are a few things you can do, like send flowers. There are some very nice arrangements of funeral flowers available. But flowers are only one way of expression so it's best to just be there for the person.
After I lost my Dad I realized the pain others hand been going through after a death. I wanted someone to tell me it was ok, but then I also didn't want to talk to anyone. The middle of the night was probably the most difficult time for me. So now when I am talking to someone that has lost a loved one I always say, "Call me any time you need to, even in the middle of the night". I guess the best thing to do for a mourning person is to be there for them. Having an open earn and a soft shoulder maybe all you can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home