Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Endometriosis

About 2 months after my daughter was born I had to have surgery to remove an ovarian cyst that was the size of a grapefruit. My doctor didn't know until he performed the surgery that I had endometriosis. Endometriosis is when you bleed on the outside of your uterus. Women who have this usually have a lot of pain during their menstral period. Before I got pregnant with my daughter I would have horrible pain. Usually it felt like an deep explosion by my ovaries. The pain would eventually subside and for a day or two after I was very sore. At the time this was happening I didn't know I had endometriosis. So I was really concerned about this pain.
Usually women with this disease have a difficult time getting pregnant so when my doctor performed the surgery to remove the cyst (pocket of old blood) he was a little shocked.
I was talking to my son's teacher today and she just found out her 16 year old daughter has endometriosis. I told her about some the ways I was able to treat my condition. Doctors usually prescribe birth control pills (progestron) to counter act the high levels of estrogen that endo suffers have. I told her that I have been using soy isoflavin capsals as well as tofu shakes and that was one of the reason I think I was able to tolerate this condition as long as I did. When I took a soy supplement my pain almost completely disappeared.
Now that I understand this condition more I am convinced that birth control is not the only way to treat endo. Another thing I told my son's teacher was that I have heard from a few different sources that when plastic is frozen or cooked in it creates a synthetic type of estrogen. I wonder if this may be the cause of the many cases of endometriosis these days. It concerns me that a 16 year old has to deal with this type of condition. It's very painful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home